3D & 4D Ultrasound ScansSt Jude’s offers routine 3D & 4D ultrasound scans in our hospitals in Wolverhampton and Newcastle-under-Lyme. Ultrasound scanning is an important way of making a diagnosis across many specialties as well as monitoring the progress of a pregnancy and the wellbeing of a baby. For example, scans allow us to:
- Assess pelvic organs (uterus and ovaries) to help make a diagnosis
- Help in making a diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCO)
- Date a pregnancy - find out how many weeks pregnant you are
- Check fetal development - e.g. to ensure fetal growth, heartbeat and movement are as expected
- Identify multiple pregnancies
- Identify the sex of your baby
Traditional 3D ultrasound images allow a fetus to be shown in 3 dimensions. A 4D ultrasound scan takes this further by showing the fetus’ movements over time, for example yawning and stretching. By offering greater detail, 4D scans are a valuable way for parents to gain reassurance about the progress of the pregnancy.
4D scans can be carried out at any stage of pregnancy but is better suited for pregnancies from 28 to 36 weeks. As part of your visit, you will receive a quality printout of the scan and a recording of the scan on DVD.
Scans are performed by our team of skilled nurses and ultrasonographers. Appointments are flexible, allowing you to work around other commitments.
Contact us online or call us on 01902 620831 to arrange a scan at St Jude’s or to ask a question about the process.